Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Eat, Pray, Love.

Only about 20 or so minutes ago, I finished easily the most inspiring book I have read in a long time. I know people say things like this, but trust me, that is a big statement coming from me. I find that in any book, or any movie, I always find some way to become inspired or learn something that can change my life. Maybe it changes one thought, or the way I think about one thing, and maybe I only remember what it was that was so inspiring for only a short time. But nonetheless, I end up changed somehow. "Eat, Pray, Love." definitely changed me. Elizabeth Gilbert does a fantastic job passing on her own influence and her inspiration to her readers through her stories of her painful divorce, and her travels in Italy, India, and Indonesia.

I wanted to write some inspiring, thoughtful, and perhaps humorous reflection about the book, but I am warning you right now not to expect anything. I feel too much pressure writing in a blog that I find my thoughts become fumbled. Some people get nervous public speaking, but I just feel anxious writing in a blog. How silly.

I don't want to oversell this book, or tell you that you must rush to Barnes & Noble and spend $15 on the book, or to your local library this instant. Please don't do that. I think that when you expect too much out of things, you only end up disappointed. I expected a really good book when I bought this one, but I didn't know how inspired I would feel. So, if you read it, don't expect to be inspired, or even expect to like it. You could absolutely hate this book. I have a friend who said it was "okay". After reading it of course, I strongly disagree with her.

Now that I've read this book, I really do want to go to India. I don't want to go alone at all, but I do want to go. I want to witness these holy places, and these places of peace. But, the book doesn't just make me want to travel. I sincerely am thinking about each position Gilbert takes, and her experiences. I find them so intriguing...and inspiring. This is all of course, in a religious sense (hence "pray"). The whole book discusses prayer, God, religion, peace, balance, stability, love, and finding oneself. These are all things I now can't get out of my mind, though I don't know if I agree with everything she said. I can't allow myself to immediately dismiss something because it might not be something I've been taught, or believe in. I think it's important to actually think about something you disagree with, because how else will you know what you really believe?

For example, Gilbert finds it perfectly acceptable to pick and choose things from each religion that we may or may not like. She finds that everyone is truly seeking for God, though they might have their different ways of finding Him. I must say I find this interesting, but I'm not about to adopt it as my own. I don't like the institution of religion in itself. I think this is because I find many Christians are not truly living what they say they believe, or even speaking what they believe! Now, if you know me you know I don't like church. That is not something I will go into here. But...I do like the aspects of other religions. I wish there were more rituals in my life. I don't like rules, but I think rituals are interesting. Why not get up at 5am to pray and meditate? Gilbert herself gets up at 345am while in India (I still find this horrifying, because at one time, that's when I went to bed). I think I could get myself out of bed at 7am, and I almost want to. Sitting in utter and complete (well, not complete, as Abby is awake at that hour, and we all know she is not quiet) silence. I want to find some inner peace, and balance. I want to continue to strive for happiness, something that Gilbert states is not just a stroke of luck for us to have. We have to seek out happiness, and work for it. I like rituals. I think they provide some sort of meaning to life, and I think that many people don't have this.

For now, this ritual, this sense of balance is what I will focus on, it's what I want the most.

So, even though I said not to expect anything from this book, I think you should read it and reflect on it. Feel free to ask if you can borrow it!

No comments: