Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Pick and Choose?

Do you ever hear someone quote something from Leviticus to back up their religious (and sometimes political) point? I'm sure we've all heard someone use the Bible to back up something they are trying to say. I personally have an issue when someone is willing to use Leviticus to support their standing (particularly regarding homosexuality). But recently, whenever I have called someone out on their use of Leviticus, something doesn't sit well with me. My issue is that they cannot pick and choose things from Leviticus that they decide they are going to live by, or decide to tell people they are going to hell by. I think it's wrong, and it is not the way we are to live any longer.

I wonder why I have such an issue with it, and it's because we all pick and choose. We decide to obey one thing, but go and don't obey something else. We choose to agree with one verse, or one point of view, but not another. By saying we believe in the truth of the Bible, we are supposed to obey it, but then we don't. We decide which rules to obey, and we decide this simply by disobeying.

Which leads me to another thought...

Is it possible to believe in and agree with every part of a religion?

I'm not sure it is.

What do you think?

No comments: